Is your website breaching the Australian Privacy Act?
First, get to know the Privacy Act for your business
- Personal Information – does your business – including your website – have information or opinions that can identify or reasonably identify an individual? This includes, name, address, telephone number, etc. If you have a contact form on your website – you’re collecting personal information. If you have a customer’s physical address, email address or credit card details, you have personal information.
- Annual Turnover – does your business have an annual turnover of $3 million? Annual turnover is the gross (before tax) revenue or income for the 12-month financial year – July 1 to June 30 the following year.
What if my business turnover is less than $3 million?
- your business is handling an individual’s consumer credit information, including credit reports, or
- your business is handling an individual’s tax file number
If your small business handles any of these sorts of details, The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner has some great resources for you, including checklists and quick reference tools that tell you exactly which parts of the Privacy Act your business needs to comply with.
How does this relate to websites?
- because your website collects information that you don’t even know about. It’s called metadata and it’s also a really big deal because it can reveal information about an individual.
Have you ever scrolled down to the bottom of a website? To the very bottom – where there is some small fine print? Just like fine print in any other document, it’s where important legal information resides.
Here’s a quick summary of the fine print your website may or may not need to include:
- If you own a website that publishes information or advice, you need a website disclaimer
- If you sell goods or services on your website, you need to comply with Australian consumer law. You need terms & conditions
If only everything was as simple as good digital design, that’s an area where iFactory is an expert. For award-winning advice on digital strategy, digital marketing, web design and web development , contact us.