Australian social media use in 2015: Part Two
You’ve landed on Part Two of our series about Aussies and social media use, where we summarise the contents of the annual Sensis Report.
You’ve landed on Part Two of our series about Aussies and social media use, where we summarise the contents of the annual Sensis Report. In Part One, we looked at the basic facts – from when people use social media to which platforms are most popular. Now, we’re delving deeper, getting into the whys and wherefores, with a focus on social media for business.
Why do Aussies use social media?
Needless to say, the biggest draw-card of social media is the opportunity to catch up with family and friends, which was the motivation given by 92% of Aussies in 2015. However, those running Australian businesses might like to know that:
- 45% of respondents use social media to share photos and videos
- 40% log on to inform themselves about news and current events
- 24% try to “follow or find out about particular brands or businesses in general”
- 20% research holiday destinations or travel offers
- 20% follow particular brands to access offers or promotions
- 19% research products and services, with a view to making purchases and
- 12% provide reviews and blogs about products they’ve used
All in all, 32% of social media users follow a social networking group associated with a particular brand or business.
What types of products and services do Aussies research on social media?
Yep, you guessed it, the most popular inspiration for research is fashion, cited by 53% of Aussie users in 2015. The statistic makes sense, given that social media is a predominantly visual medium. A close second was electrical goods, researched by 44% of social networkers, while furniture and home wares came in third, attracting 40%.
Other categories were:
- Music, at 26%
- Computers and hardware, at 24%
- Cosmetics, beauty and fragrances, at 23%
- Software, at 21%
- Videos, at 16% and
- Computer games, at 9%.
So, all Australian businesses selling any of these products or services definitely need to be on top of their digital marketing.
Still have questions?
It’s not over yet. This is Part Two in a four-part series. To find out more, check out Part Three coming soon.
Or, should you have questions about your social media for business, feel free to give us a call here at iFactory. A cutting-edge digital agency based in Brisbane, we take care of businesses’ creative and digital needs, from social media and digital marketing to web design in Brisbane and web development in Brisbane and the world.
See the full Sensis Social Media Report May 2015.